Sunday, August 29, 2010

A day at the beach

We had a beautiful drive through the mountains to the lake yesterday. Both the bus and Sergeys van were full.  When we passes through the village that our friend Talas was berried in, I could feel the lump in the back of my throat. I don't know why I think of him so often, but lots of memories came back as we traveled along through this stark land.  At one point, we could see the hills and the settlement off in the distance where we came for his funeral.  About 10 minutes later we came to one of the most beautiful beaches you could imagine. The Camera does not pick it up as well, but you look across this lake at the snow caped mountains, It is simply gorgeous.    We had made a lunch for everyone the night before, and I had found some Styrofoam to line a box, so we even had a cooler to put it in.. this may not seem like much to most of you , but if you have ever had to eat in some of these restaurants, you would know what a treat this was .. We made potato salad and had cold meats and boiled eggs along with cheese and tomatoes and fresh bread... then when the ladies came along the beach with dried fish strung through the eye sockets on a coat hanger, we bought 20 of them for our clan... Uhg.. ( this is me trying to be culturally sensitive in the meal planning, but I could just not bring myself to buy them kamos or sharow, I am not that sensitive).  Sergeys mom sent a  crock pot with hot potatoes and fried meat... it was so good .  The kids spent 5 hours either eating or swimming. I had a little nap and woke up like a lobster despite the two layers of sun screen.  The lake was beautiful and clear clean water with just slight salt content.  It was cold, but refreshing.  We got in around 8 and everyone was tired and ready for an early bed time.


No comments: