Every one keeps asking " So what are you guys doing here"... we answer "Oh well you know .. a little bit of everything ". It would be great to be able to have just one or two things to tell them... But those of you who know me know that "one or two things" is just not possible for me.
Well, we have had two full weeks here .... after waking up from the journey.. The first week we concentrated on meeting with our friends here and setting up the apartment for our stay. Then this week we began a bit of a schedule... more just re-introducing ourselves and making plans..... Now we are ready to start
9:00 to 3:00 working with the kids in the village orphanage
9:00 to 5:00 working with Lena and or Larrisa helping seniors and street kids .
5:00 to 9:00 back to village orphange for more classes
9:00 to 12:00 learning Central Asian sewing with Acel
5:00 to 8:00 Cooking supper and doing art classes and games with the town orphanage for Older kids
2:30 to 4:00 English classes in the playground
Fun outings in the bus... 10 to 12 kids at a time ... activity age appropriate
We have hired a bus for the local Church that we will be attending .. They will use it to bus out of town families as well as Sunday afternoon outings with people from the Church.... We try to do our own thing on Sundays.... It will give all our helpers a break from us...lol.
This gives us a good schedule to start with, and lots of flexibility and room to add in other small projects as they appear.
We will be travelling with a team of AVP Facilitators to several cities in Central Asia for two weeks in March and April.
In our sights ....
1. We have made contact with the Town Baby Orphanage and dropped of f supplies, and will try to maintain weekly contact with them with hopes of building a strong trusting relationship.
2. There are English lessons offered at the local Library.. we would like to assist the teacher there... maybe she can teach me how to spell.
3. There is a Friendship House in town that is building a museum and has asked us to provide a Canadian exhibit.
4. We would like to see what we can to do to help out with Teen Challenge here in Central Asia.
5. In the next couple of weeks when the frost is out of the ground we will begin renovations on our apartment (brick in the balcony and add new windows to make a dining room)
6. The Missions Training Center will start up in April and we will be helping where we can there.
Oh ya we have 20 acres of sweet corn to plant..... Wait until you hear about the corn roast we are planning when our backup arrives in the beginning of July .....Can't wait.