Saturday, December 11, 2010

It's NOT about who is naughty or nice....

We are down to the wire with the Christmas pie in the face challenge. We have $3300 to go .. I truly am pleased how well we have done, and I am not giving up hope. I have been going over and over the list of kids .. you know checking it twice..and all that I have a list here from our workers, We have done our best to try to set some priority of who will get a Christmas visit from our friends.. Not a job I particularly like.. I am excited that all our institutions have been covered so far this year. Next up in line is some of the families that we have been working with ...
I know that I can sound like a broken record some times, but there are families and stories that continue to haunt me. I want to tell you about where the next donation will go .....
This little girl and her brother .. I feel so bad, I can't remember their names... but if you have tried to remember a Kyrgyz name, you will give me a little leeway...just about every name is different..
Last fall I was at the dump with our friends Dave and Jeanette from Quebec. We were delivering food packages .. It was very emotional for us , There were families there that we knew from the village.. families that had been doing well the last time we saw them, but hard timed had come to them and they were now in the dump with their kids looking for food or anything that they could sell... I remember talking to Dave and we were saying how life can not get much worse then this ... How wrong could we have been ... We were internalizing,... we were looking at the plight of these people and thinking about how it was effecting us... Then the phone rang... It was the teacher at the local school. She asked us to please come to the school right away. When we got there she explained the situation...
Our little friend and her brother had just lost their mother, and she wanted Larisa to be the one to tell them because they know and love her.. The mother had a cold that turned into pneumonia.. for the lack of about 200 som.. about 7 dollars at the time, they could not get the antibiotics and she died... and now we had to tell these kids that they would never see their mother again..
I have continued to follow their progress, and have involved them in several of the outings we have had, and Larisa continues to work with them to help out where she can...a Christmas gift last year was nice, but some how it seems soooo...week ... Some how asking for $5 for a Christmas gift again this year for her seems kind of lame... I should be asking for so much more... but then the next story after hers , and the next , and the next... its just so overwhelming some times... another 70 or 80 kids down the list , and we will be sending Christmas gifts to some kids that were in the riots in Osh..
Their home was destroyed with them in it as they hid in the basement.. there neighbors were shot and killed as they fled their homes.. they hid out almost a week before their father made it home and rescued them ... until that point they did not know if he was dead or alive... They have nothing left, yet in all the time we have spent with them , I did not hear one single bad thing come from their mouths... I am humbled to know them... So NO who gets a gift this year has nothing to do with who is naughty or nice... it comes down to one thing... Do we have five more dollars.....
Please please , go right now and make a donation $5 is not a lot, but it will let one of our little friends know that we have not forgotten them.. if you are viewing this from FB or another reader, please go to www.actofkindness.blogspot.com and follow the link on the top right ...

No comments: