Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The return of the big event

I can still remember the first big fundraiser that we did for a trip to Central Asia so many years ago.. I really did not know what to expect... but it certainly was more exciting then anything I could have dreamed... There is something electric that happens when a group of people come together for a common purpose... and it is even more exciting when that purpose is to forever change the lives of the Hurting helpless and lost that the rest of society has brushed aside or forgotten... It is powerful it restores your faith in humanity... Something funny happens... people begin to understand the significance of what is happening and that NOW is an opportunity to really make a difference... it becomes one of those defining moments... like a remember when moment... Over the years, I have been to my share of these events, and it never ceases to amaze me when the generosity starts to move... I have witnessed peals of laughter as the bidding on a box of Crispy Cream donuts auctioned off for $75 , only to be handed out to the crowd... or there was the time that someone donated a Porsh... then when it was not selling for enough he started bidding on it himself, then got carried away, and by the time it was over, he hid bid it up so high that he did not think it was a good deal any more for the young man he was bidding against so he had to keep bidding to make sure that the boy did not get in over his head.... Every year, we come away just amazed.... this year the venue has been moved to a larger venue so we have a bit more room....

We will be holding our annual "Big Event" Fundraiser on Saturday, October 17th at the St. Agatha Community Centre in the Kitchener / Waterloo area The "wildness" begins at 6:30 more details will follow but I wanted you to get the date on your calendar. ... Of course the Sisters will be there with stories of their work in Central Asia and we will have the "Kevin Pauls Band" there as well. There will be desserts, coffee, choco fountain, all that jazz as well as a silent auction and a live auction. The cost of the tickets will be $25/each with all proceeds from the evening going to Possibilities International and our work in Central Asia. We presently support 20 workers in Central Asia as our dream agents. Please make this evening a priority! As I said...more details to follow.

I am always so encouraged and wound up after one of these events that I have even made a point of making sure I am in country... I will likely arrive back the night before, just in time for the excitement... If it's worth the trip for me from Kyrgyzstan , then it would be certainly worth the trip for you from what ever part of the continent you are from... If you would like more information, or help with hotel or flight information, just let me know....

No comments: