Wednesday, January 05, 2011

THE TIME IS NOW !

I especially don't like crowds of kids who have nothing .... I have a file of about 1000 photo's that are from the the ground in Osh. Each photo is disturbing, but on its own or with just a couple photos , you really don't get the full impact of the situation ..like the one bellow... Look at the buildings in the back ground... our team did not look for the place with the worst back drop to shock the viewers... they chose a location with the best appearance to make the day special for the kids that showed up.... Time and time again I have gone to that file looking to tell the story, but end up crying, and with no direction of where or how to tell the human side of the atrocity...
I have sat and talked with some kids that were rescued from this very village.. they shared how they were trapped in their basement for a week as there house was destroyed and they could hear their neighbors being shot as they tried to run for safety... They spent a week waiting to be rescued and then fled to the north where people we know have been looking after them... My heart breaks for this family, but they are the fortunate ones... as I look at the photo above, I think of the thousands like them that have not escaped the violence.. they have not escaped the heart ache, and they have not escaped the winter.
We have an incredible team on the ground in the south that is now living and working right in the middle of the tent cities with the most vulnerable...
6 months ago this story was the center of attention and in the news.. people sent aid from all around the world.. from government to government.. When the story first broke, we did not look for donations, in fact we declined some as we could not be sure that the funds would make it to the end location, and we did not know for sure what the needs were... that has changed... we know the needs, and we have the people on the ground that I trust to make sure that those needs are met .
I am not going to turn this into a great big fund raising campaign like the pie challenge , nor am I going to put up a thermometer ...I am even hesitant as it is so close on the heals of such an incredible out pouring of support during the pie challenge, in fact story's are still coming and and will for some time to come, BUT what I will do is collect here using any one of the donate buttons on the side of the blog.. www.actofkindness.blogspot.com and I will send a Western Union money order on Sunday night to our people on the ground...

No comments: