Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The way it's supposed to work

This morning we started early... the first one at the door was Talant at 7 am.. Talas's father had given Talas's cell phone to Talant and had asked him if he could figure out how to get the photo's off the camera for them.. fortunately we have everything here to do that and print them out, so we were happy to oblige.. at 8 Emma signed the final documents for her visa extension... and by 9 we were busy starting on lesson plans for the weeks to come... We were able to get her completely set up and all the supplies purchased and ready to go for the entire six weeks of art classes with the kids ... She has many different projects as well as some instructional material for them to do... While I was photo copying and organizing supplies, she was getting all her English lessons ready as well... Our goal was to have all her prep done by the end of today so that she would not have to give it a second thought... We are doing pretty good... now we just have to make the teachers sample of each art project tonight after supper.. we have a few kids coming over for supper and to help with this so that we can see if there are going to be any problems before she takes it to a class...
We had a few trips to the bazaar for supplies, as well as to get a few things for the LAMb team that is doing a home makeover on a house just around the corner from us... They needed Mattresses and blankets for the new bunk beds... we just happen to have access to lots of them so we just delivered them, and helped put down the new carpets.
We then took Altynai to the Bazaar for new shoes .. she had not been able to find her size the other times we were there, but she was a little distracted trying to shop for others and translate for us, so she had not done any shopping... so we picked her up at 2:30 and by 3:15 we had her back to school in time for her next class.
At 4 Acel met us at our apartment, and we went over to the Knowledge store for Emma's first English class.. they were older kids ..10 kids between 14 and 18 years old... all very shy ... I saw that Emma was seeming a little apprehensive, so I asked if she would feel better with me there or not there... then she smiled... so I knew that was my cue... so I stood outside and listened for a bit... she did great.... Maybe it's just me she does not speak in front of. hahaha I think she really enjoys teaching....
I got over to the apartment where the team was working and helped move the final stuff in... the family was so excited... .. While there a couple came in who are from the organization that runs several orphanages and schools here as well as the University.. I had made some contacts for them, and they shared that they will be able to get the supplies they need into a container leaving the US in a couple weeks, and were so blessed that we were able to make that connection for them... I then said I was off to meet up with Emma, and Natasha said " O quick before you go, ...We need a shunt for a Hydrocephalus's baby in the orphanage... do you know how to help... with out missing a beat, I was able to pull out my cell phone and call Kyle, and 30 seconds later the arrangements were made, and the contact was made for this operation... It was one year ago at this time that I held a dying baby in my arms and said to the mother ...I wish I could help... and thought to myself ... one day this type of thing will not have to happen... Today I saw my dream become a reality.....
As I walked back home to meet up with Emma and Acela, I was joined by Aiperi and a friend of hers that were coming over to take Emma for a walk before supper.... Vlady and the boys just stopped by with an update for the hospital.. it is doing very well... it will come in on budget... I just gave them the last instalment of the money ... It looks like it may be done before I go...
Sergey and Anya just left as well... They were dropping off some paintings for the apartment that were done by one of the old babushka's we are supporting... They are nice big oil paintings...
He also showed me their latest woes... Last night when they were doing one of the dentist runs, some one drove into the back of them and crunched the back of his car... He said that they felt so sorry for him at the dentist... here he was helping these poor orphans and this happens, so the dentist gave an extra special price... it looks like our young friend will have two or three caps, several fillings and one false tooth permanently installed, as well as full cleaning and x rays for under $100..... Then the man that hit him came back and gave him $200 about the amount needed to do a repair of that type here...
Boy an awful lot happened for an around the house day !... and now I sit down, and the blog is back on line for us.....All the way it is meant to work....

No comments: