Thursday, June 18, 2009

Staying connected....

This is not an uncommon sight, especially in Central Asia ......what you don't see is that I am sitting in front of the computer talking on Skype at the time this photo was taken.
Since getting home, I have continued to keep in regular contact with our agents on the ground...Skype is a wonderful thing... have several calls a day, and I think I have spent about $8 in the last three weeks.... A far cry from when we first started going to Central Asia... I can remember when it would cost us $15 a minute.... You would try to write down everything you were going to say, then speak very fast.... One friend of ours was calling home and talked a little to fast, and a Russian voice came on the line and said " Please slow down, I am having a hard time following your conversation..." another friend another time did not hang the phone up properly, and the line was still open... $1500 later she realized that the phone was off the hook...oh my... fortunately we were able to talk that bill down to about $100.....

Yesterday we began the day with a phone call and finished the day with a phone call... both of which brought great joy to us... The first one ... well it is just not your time to know... , but the last one of the day I can tell you about...
I was just on line for a minute before going to bed to see if there was anything new, and the Skype rang.. It was Acel and family, it is always a blessing to talk to them, the girls are so cute, and I can visualize then all standing around the computer...... Then the surprise... It was Aigoola.. she had stopped at there house to meat up with them as they are taking her to the Dr in the capital for a check up... She sounded so strong, and her voice so clear... She just wanted to thank everyone that had a part in her resent surgery... she says that she fells better now then she has for a long time...
It was just a nice start and finish to the day.....

No comments: