Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hanging out with my friends !

Today we headed out to the far end of the valley to take our young guest out to meet our friends at the Seniors home... She made the rounds, and she and Acelbeck even took turns playing the guitar and singing for them From there we headed back along the south side of the valley, and worked our way through the little villages We stopped for a visit at the feeding program that we sponsor there... it was so nice to actually have time for a nice visit... usually I am in such a rush that they get 15 minutes of our time, then we head off, yet they deserve so much more... they are doing fantastic things in their community... This summer they tell me that they are going to have a full children's program in the playground the team built... 5 days a week... all summer long.... The next stop was to Agiloo's house for tea... we had a really nice visit, and I was able to give a Little input to help Ayperi decide what she was going to do when she finished school... She has been thinking of so many different options, but could not settle on anything... When I asked her what she really like to do, she said that she enjoyed sewing with her mom... I then suggested that if she went to the sewing school to learn the business side of things, it might be a good idea... I have had people interested in helping them to start a small business sewing, and I think now would be a good time to get things started.... Maybe we will have Sergey take them to the city next week to find a good sewing machine... I already have orders for many items for them... I could even spread the word with others and see how much more work we could drum up... After that we headed for Laurissa's house where we had supper ... again a stop that I have needed to make for a long time... she was so happy to have us, and again deserves so much more attention then I am able to give her... It seems like every stop I made, they reminded me how many days it has been since they have seen me... I could sware I was out that end of the valley just last week, but I guess the few days I was down has everyone in a dither....
After leaving Larissa's house we headed into our little village... A place I have come to love.... It's a place that the streets are still just a mud pathway, and every time we go we wonder if we will be able to make it in.... there is often no electricity, and the only public utility is the one tap in the middle of the town that we brought them last year.... The homes are so simple, and life is difficult... yet they are always so happy to see us... The daily issues seem to disappear when we get there, the streets for a time are filled with joy.... Today we brought crafts to do with all the kids... They were all so excited... they had never had something like this before as far back as any could remember... The crafts were so incredibly organized... out young friend had a sealed pack for each child, and inside was everything they needed for that craft...
The girls made felt purses, and the boys made airplanes Then every family in the village got a soccer ball..... that turned into a great big game of volleyball out on the street......

in total we had about 25 kids for about 2 hours....
It's funny... I feel so privileged to be part of something so special as this... I think it has been about 4 years now that we have been excepted as a part of this community. As I look back through many years of photo's I have been able to See many of these kids grow up... I just hope that some how we have been able to have a part in shaping their futures in a positive way....
As I watched one of the boys today, my heart was breaking... he is so bright and personable.. and as smart as a whip... I just wonder what his future has in store for him... If he was anywhere else, I would say that the sky is the limit, and nothing is outside his grasp, but I know the truth... the truth is that unless people like you and me continue to stand by him, he faces a very bleak future....
I guess it's days like today , set aside , to just hang with my friends, that I am reminded why we are here.


No comments: