Sunday, November 04, 2007

Host Family

Many of you may not know this, but when I was young, My parents owned a Motel and Restaurant / banquet facility in cottage country, and my formal education is in Hotel Restaurant Management. Several years ago when we began planning for an extended stay in Central Asia, I felt a real calling to take what comes natural to me and use it to glorify God. As a host family, we will meet and greet incoming missions teams and individual travelers. There are many different NGO's operating in the area, and wouldn't it be great if they had a friendly face waiting for them , helping them to acclimatize, and maybe even a home cooked meal from time to time. Something else I would love to do is to have the opportunity to have our many friends and acquaintances over for visits. I really look forward to this time. While traveling with a team on a short tum Trip, time is such a factor, and it seams that every minute is spoken for.... I look forward to visiting Gyanna, and having time for a game of Chess, or having the local pastor and his family over for supper....Can you believe I have never actually had the opportunity to sit down and have a visit with them.?... after all, we have always seen our role in missions not as an evangelist , but simply there to encourage our local Brothers and Sisters.

Cost : $200/month

1 comment:

Cindy LaJoy said...

"after all, we have always seen our role in missions not as an evangelist , but simply there to encourage our local Brothers and Sisters."

And that is why I think I have enjoyed reading about your work so much John. Christians get so hung up on "winning souls for Christ" that they forget that God commands us to help those in need...he doesn't say "Help only those in need who respond to what you say about me". It is unequivical and frustrating to me at times when Christians, in the name of Christianity, browbeat people in need so they can log a number on their "souls saved" chart. It is not what it is about at all. If we have the right spirit, hopefully, others will see through our actions not our words, that God is a living, loving God and will want a piece of that for themselves. I am certain beyond any doubt that many have seen God working through you, and are drawn to this faith you profess without ever having to beat anyone up over it. Thanks for presenting a fomr of Christianity that I am much more comfortable with :-)