Tuesday, January 16, 2024

The day the truck came to my Door.

 Today was a very busy day at the farm.  16 families received coal.  These recipients were a little further down the list because they had started out the winter with some coal  of their own .  They are what I would call the working poor.  They may have one or several jobs but still falling further and further behind. 

Maybe the reason that I am so impacted by these deliveries is that We were the working poor.  About 25 years ago Julie was just finishing school and the the kids were small.  I was working three jobs, none of them great .. It was around this time of year and we were just about out of food and we had just put the last piece of Naraly wood into the fire place. We had two wood stoves but we had switched to just using one to save wood.  I can remember the desperation.  Then there was a BANG on the porch .  A man that I knew was there, backed up to th door and was offloading a cord of wood.  He then came to the door with a couple boxes of food .  I still get overwhelmed to this day when I think about it. 

Today the truck backed up to the doors of 16 families and they each got a ton of coal and a few bags of groceries.  I am so blessed knowing that we were able to do this.  I still get almost as overwhelmed as the day the truck came to my door.   




Valera might have picked the wrong day to return to the farm .. first day back and they were moving 16 tons of coal. hahhaaa. 





At the end of the day , Sergey got on the phone with Olivtina and she talked him through making a big pot of soup . perfect after a hard day. 

No comments: