Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Maybe it's not so Bad !

So I woke up this morning with an abscessed tooth so bad that one of my eyes was almost swollen shut ..... So off to the dentist.....I don't like going to the dentist.......I mean I really don't like going to the dentist. Even the thought of going to the dentist gives me the willies. I just don't like pain. I don't like having peoples hands in my mouth. Even with all the gadgets and gizmo's at the dentist office, I don't like anything associated with going to the dentist. Did I mention that I don't like going to the dentist.... But I don't like a tooth ache any better. So I called the dentist and was told to come in right away. I walked into the office and was taken right in, the abscess was drained and I was given pain killers and antibiotics and sent home. Three minutes later, I was on my way back out to my car......There....That wasn't so bad. On my way home I thought about how quick it was . ....Could it have been any quicker?....Than I remembered being at an orphanage in Central Asia. There the entire collection of dental equipment consists of a pair of pliers and a tin bowl containing the teeth of the last 40 victims.....I mean patients.
Once a week they would get out the pliers and bowl and make the rounds .Up to 400 kids could be checked in a day.... same pliers, same bowl..... No filling..... No drilling.....No freezing.... No caps and masks and rubber gloves....only one tin bowl and pair of pliers. Suddenly I feel a little silly about my dentist phobia.

2 comments:

Cindy LaJoy said...

John, I am SO glad that Toktogul is here with half a tooth instead of a missing one, so that we can get it removed as painlessly as possible. Thanks for shedding light on "dental care" in Central Asia, trying to explain that our kids may have very real fears of medical care doesn't quite hit home as much as this eyewitness acount does. Cindy

Julie and John Wright said...

Hi Cindy....1) Their method is a little cheeper......2)when the pain gets bad enough even the pliers sound good......ummmmmm.....3).....ummmmmm.........Mom always says "think of three good things, but I'm stuck at two.