Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Such Potential


I shared a few weeks back about some students that we have that needed some help this fall with tuition and living .  It is always a stressful time of year meeting all the tuition requirements. Tomorrow we will cover the last one.  Then next up is living expenses and housing for them .  Here is one of the letters I received at the beginning of the summer. 

Hello dear John! my name is Jeenbek and I am a friend of Nick. I heard a lot of good things about you from Nick. and the reason of my handling to you is that I really need help. As I know you are trying to find a donor for Nick and I would like to ask you if you could help me with finding a donor. for me the donor is needed only for one year and after a year I will work 3 months and I will be able to earn for my contract which is 500 dollars and for my accommodation and nutrition.

 More details about me.I am 21 years old. I am a very talented student. for instance this year in entrance exams of AUCA I took 100 points out of 100 from mathematics. only 2 students could get 100 points from math among 2000 students and one of them is me. and from academic achievements I also get very good gpa, mine is 3.7. but I didn't try very hard to get 4.0 and next education year in case I find money for my education and accommodation I will study very hard and I think I will be able to get 4.0 gpa. To study very hard I need for this year about 1000 dollars for contract and accommodation and other money I will try to work in this season. In case I can't find money for my contract and accommodation I am afraid I won't be able to continue my study. so please help me this time and I will try to give you back all your money in 3 years.

Well he managed to work out his tuition, but was still with out a place to live.  Many of the apartments we found for Nick were about $300 plus utilities for one room and not near the school.  Then we found a two bedroom near the school for $240 a month utilities included .  It is in a great location.   We will put 4 students from the University there , and that will make it just $60 a month.  Neither Nick or Jeenbek have that so I will have to carry it until we are able to find sponsors for them .. The other two boys rooming with them have some money left from the summers work , and are hoping to be able to cover their own rent .. for now.  All four are great kids and have a lot of potential.  They have all agreed to keep us up to date with their University life, so you will be seeing a lot more of them .  They all speak English as well so they will be helping us time to time as translators when we have teams.  

No comments: